Sunday, March 8, 2015

Dissident Reflections: Resolute Nonviolence

(Augsurger prt 6) I was hesitant to write anything on this chapter not because I disagree with nonviolence, but because I have already spent much time writing about it in essays, on my blog (see here here and here) and have recently been addressing it on other theological forums…

So, what changed my mind?  Well first, it is a quick opportunity to put out there why I stand here (I have yet to do this in any of my arguments against it).  Second, while Augsburger’s overall case for resolute nonviolence is not all that dissimilar from my own (though he is much more gracious and gentle than I tend to be toward those who just don’t see it… I’m working on it) he offers a helpful set of nonviolent affirmations that all Christians should, at least, consider.  Whether you believe in “just war” or “nonviolence” if you are committed to Christ then I promise it will not be a waste of your pondering-time. And if you are just a curious reader then perhaps this is an opportunity to see that instances like the Crusades or Protestant-Catholics wars were antithetical to Christ.

Why I Advocate Nonviolence
While I grew up in a Christian home, I did not grow up in a home that was anti-war (I think my parents did question it at some point, but they were encouraged to view it as a necessary evil).  In fact I come from a long line of military and war-veterans and at one point thought of it as my own future career opportunity.  So, this was something I would later come to on my own through various experiences and understanding the Bible for myself.[1]

As a result I realized I could no longer reconcile things like war and violence with what Jesus taught.  My position is actually as simple as that, but I will elaborate anyway.  Jesus spent a lot of time rejecting, what Walter Wink summed up as, the “system of domination”.[2]  This was what the entire cosmos had become in Jesus’ eyes and he regularly spoke against it. This is obvious when he commands us to be non-retaliatory and to love one’s enemies (Mat. 5:43-48), he claims to have come to fulfill God’s promise to release the captives, heal the blind and to let the oppressed go free (Lk. 4:18-21), he suggested that lording power over each other was pagan behavior and not God’s desire (Lk. 22:24-26), he claims that neither he nor his followers belong to this dominating-world and are hated by it (Jn. 17:14, 16) and he insists that all who follow him would commit to his ways (Jn. 14:23-24).

Assuming this is true, I want to make the statement that all acts of violence (no matter how justified) are intrinsically acts of domination. The only end-result violence can seek is to leverage power in the same domination system Jesus condemned.  To use Augsburger’s notion here, when we commit an act of violence we have placed faith in that domination system. The commitment to answer in violence is obedience to that domination system.  Any allegiance to the values that the domination system holds are inherently the same affirmations that we find in the superiority of a gender, culture, color, economic status and/or hemisphere position (i.e. North vs. South).[3]   However, when our commitment and allegiance is to “Jesus as Lord” we cannot simultaneously  take Jesus’ side and continue in the way of domination.  It then only made sense that the way of the cross pointed to nonviolence and always worked toward reconciliation even when it costs us.

With this said, I do know from personal experience that no matter how sound my position may seem (in my mind) it becomes a target for endless counter-arguments.  So, my point is that my espousing this rarely changes hearts, and it receives lots of criticism and lots of “well what would you do if…” questions, and there are times when living it out feels ineffectual. But, I do not do it because it is popular, or because I am trying to make less of evil (I take it very seriously) or because it is guaranteed to work-out perfectly in every scenario.  Rather, I commit to nonviolence because it is my act of faithfulness/commitment to the God that is revealed in Jesus. I believe it is as much a political statement as it is a religious confession to say that Jesus is Lord and the rulers of the world/domination system are not.  Now, while my initial thoughts about this were not this developed, these words do embody the feelings and confusion I couldn’t get past when reading about Christ.  While there is much more that could be said about this (and I will address in future posts on restorative justice and so on) this is the basis of it

Spirituality of Nonviolence
As stated before, whether you agree with Augsburger’s affirmations of nonviolence they should at least make you think very seriously about Christ’s radical way and its broader implications for his followers:

·         Love for God and love for neighbor are two aspects of the same love.  Jesus was wholly faithful to God and truly faithful to fellow humanity. We live out his love.

·         No one for whom Christ died can be to us an enemy.  If Christ already suffered the death penalty for a person who has committed a capital offense, how can I reenact it without invalidating all Christ offered and suffered?  We carry out his mission.

·         No one is expendable or disposable.  No one is absolutely or inapproachably incapable of loving; no one is absolutely or unapproachably incapable of being loved. All persons are within the love of Christ.  We join him in his work of love.

·         We do not fear or avoid conflict.  We refuse to believe the lie that violence is the answer to conflict.  We believe in peacemaking. 

·         To love God, our neighbor, our enemy and ourselves requires persistent, relentless commitment to the way of Jesus.[4]





                                                              References


[1] More to my surprise was that I could not find very many other Christians who agreed with nonviolence.  That is until I was writing a paper my first semester in college, on a similar topic, and while doing research came across the Anabaptists (at which point I had a “where you been all my life” moment).  After digging deeper I now know there have been many Christian thinkers who drew the same conclusion (the majority of the early Christians, Leo Tolstoy, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Stanley Hauerwas, N.T. Wright, Walter Brueggemann, Henri Nouwen, Thomas Merton and most of the Franciscan Order, MLK Jr., Greg Boyd, Dallas Willard, Richard Foster and many more)  but much of the way of nonviolence and alternative solutions has been paved by a long Anabaptist tradition and their insightful work of uncalculated love and reconciliatory-justice that should be learned from.
[2] David Augsburger Dissident Discipleship (Grand Rapids, MI: Brazo Press 2006), 138.
[3] Ibid.
[4] Ibid, 143-144.

No comments:

Post a Comment